Since 2012 Vision have worked in partnership with BFK on the C435 CrossRail Project at Farringdon. Our works spanned involvement on Internal Stations (existing), Utility Diversions & Tunnelling Works.
The construction of Crossrail’s Farringdon station, is one of the most complex elements of an overall £16 billion project. The £350m contract, known as C435, included construction of the station, tunnels, fit out and M&E installation. Farringdon will be the only station to include Crossrail, Thameslink and London Underground. The scope included two ticket hall structures, two combined platform tunnels, cross passages and escalator.
Vision were an integral part of the Utilities Division on this project, working directly for BFK, a JV between BAM Nuttel, Ferrovial and Kier since July 2012. We were instrumental in implementing and managing a safe system of work for excavations, using our Permit Control procedure to ensure there are ‘no service strikes’. Currently we have issued over 300 permits and still going strong with no incidents.
Our main focus has been based around the replacement of the Thames Water trunk mains that is affected by the tunnelling works and other utility services including gas that may be put at risk due to this works.
A synopsis of the Permit Control process used on this project is:
Pre - Construction Phase
- Obtain all statutory service information.
- Carry out a full utility, GPR & topographic survey of entire construction site.
- Produce CAD model containing all information.
- Introduce and implement a Permit Control procedure.
- Prepare permits for works to be undertaken, to include latest utilites drawings information.
- Brief all operatives involved in excavation works and issue/ close permits as required.
- Oversee all excavation works as required.
- Service locator continually re-marks and scans ground ahead of work-force for entirety of excavation works and acts as single point of contact for all service related issues.
- Real time updating of SME/CCM files.
- Handover as-built data for inclusion in the Health & Safety File.
- Undertake a Post Project Review and compile a Lessons Learnt Report to allow for improvement to be made to Vision’s best working practice.